April 9, 2015
The Chairpersons/ CEOs of all Scheduled Commercial Banks/
Regional Rural Banks/ Local Area Banks/ All India Financial Institutions
Dear Sir/ Madam,
Implementation of Section 51-A of UAPA, 1967- Updates of the UNSCR 1267(1999) / 1989(2011) Committee's Al Qaida Sanctions List
Please refer to our circular DBR. AML. No. 14894/ 14.06.001/ 2014-15 dated April 7, 2015 on the captioned subject releasing the 8th and 10th updates dated March 23, 2015 and March 31, 2015 respectively regarding UNSCR 1267(1999)/ 1989(2011) Committee's Al Qaida Sanctions List.
2. Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), UNP Division has forwarded the 11th update dated April 7, 2015 regarding addition of an entry to the sanction list (copy enclosed). Press release pertaining to the 11th update of April 7, 2015 is available at:
A link to updated list of individuals and entities linked to Al Qaida is available at:
3. Banks/All India Financial Institutions are required to update the list of individuals/entities as circulated by Reserve Bank and before opening any new account, it should be ensured that the name/s of the proposed customer does not appear in the list. Further, banks should scan all existing accounts to ensure that no account is held by or linked to any of the entities or individuals included in the list.
4. Banks are advised to strictly follow the procedure laid down in the UAPA Order dated August 27, 2009 enclosed to our circular DBOD.AML.BC. No. 44/14.01.001/2009-10 dated September 17, 2009 and ensure meticulous compliance to the Order issued by the Government.
5. As far as freezing of funds, financial assets or economic resources or related services held in the form of bank accounts of the designated individuals/entities are concerned, action should be taken as detailed in paragraph6 of the circular dated September 17, 2009, mentioned above.
6. A link of press releases in which the relevant changes to the list are announced are posted on the Committee’s website at the following URL:
7. Compliance Officer/Principal Officer should acknowledge receipt of this circular.
Encl.: as above